Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Reader's Confession

I have a confession to make -- I can't seem to finish a non-fiction book. On occasion, I race to the end of a well-written memoir...probably because it tells a story, and I'm all about the story. I also like well-drawn characters, and in the right hands that's just what a memoir presents. But other non-fiction books just don't seem to hold my attention for some reason.

Right now, I'm trying to finish Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom by Rick Hanson. The subject interests me and the book is well-written. But each time I have a chance to do some reading, I reach for a novel instead. I will finish this book because I'm anxious to learn what it has to say, which is that breakthroughs in modern neuroscience coupled with the wisdom of thousands of years of contemplative practice, make it possible for people to shape their thoughts to achieve greater happiness, love, compassion, and wisdom

Two n-f books I did finish were: Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen and The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson. Both of these books fascinated me from start to finish. I'm not sure what that says about me.

Some memoirs I really enjoyed were:
The Liars' Club by Mary Karr

What about you? Do you read non-fiction and fiction? Do you prefer one over the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment