Monday, May 14, 2012

Questions, Questions?

Would you read a novel composed entirely of questions? "The Interrogative Mood: A Novel?" by Padgett Powell is just such a book  and a very intriguing book it is. Although the questions seem to appear in no significant order, reviewers who have read the entire novel (I am not one) say that it actually has themes and a pattern to the seeming chaos.

One section asks: "How is your health? If it might be fairly said that you have hopes and fears, would you say you have more hopes than fears, or more fears than hopes? Are all of your affairs in order? Would you have the slightest idea, if we somehow started over, how to reinvent the radio, or even the telephone?"

Then there is this question, which I confess I have actually pondered myself: "Why won't the aliens step forth to help us."

I haven't yet purchased this book because I think it might make me crazy, but it might not. I'm still asking myself: "Do you want to read this book?"

2 comments:

  1. Vicki, if you read it, won't it just make you crazy? And you don't want to do that, do you?

    (Frank)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loren (Frank) -- Is this like the question game we used to play as kids? Do you remember how we would answer every questions with a question?

    ReplyDelete