Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bedtime Books

Are you, like me, picky about what you read just before falling asleep at night? Some books just seem to work better to ease me into a relaxed, restful place. I don't always choose wisely, however, and then I pay for it by tossing and turning and lying wide-eyed, staring at the ceiling, checking the digital clock now and then to confirm that "yep" I'm not getting any sleep.

I can't read anything too dark or depressing right before dozing off. My very favorite bedtime books were the Harry Potter books. Although, when the final book was published, I read it day and night, because I just couldn't stop.

Some other good bedtime books:
  • Jane Austen
  • Jan Karon
  • Some mysteries -- not too violent or scary
  • Georgette Heyer - Regency Romances
  • Terry Pratchett
What about you? Do you read certain types of books before bed? Do you have any favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Truthfully, I've taken to listening to books as I fall asleep. I struggle not at all to keep my eyes open for the next line. A sleep funtion on the device keep it from running the battery down overnight. I love falling asleep to Terry Pratchett and to Elizabeth Peters. Comfort books. Also, Gibbon's Decline and Fall .... Having slept through bunches of it, I find it ever fresh. Giggle.

    Chris in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris -- Pratchett is also an excellent one to fall asleep to -- if you're not laughing too hard. Gibbons seems like an excellent sleep inducer.

    ReplyDelete