Friday, March 9, 2012

Are you a rereader?

We had a discussion recently on my favorite website, Readers Paradise, about rereading books. I'm not one to reread books very often. I will reread a book for my book club if I've read it too many months before the discussion is set to take place. Sometimes this dampens my enthusiasm for the book. Other times, I get more out of the second reading than I did from the first. I just reread The Hunger Games for this month's discussion. I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. But when I reread Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts, I was disappointed and wished I hadn't revisited that story. One book I have read several times, by choice, is Sarah Canary.
Some people, it seems, find great comfort in rereading books. It's almost like comfort food for them. In fact, some even have their favorites that they revisit every year. One woman mentioned that she had reread the Lord of the Rings series 19 times!

What about you - do you reread books? Do you have favorites that you revisit on a regular basis? How do you decide which books are worthy of a reread?

7 comments:

  1. I reread books occasionally. Used to do more of it when I kept print books around; but now, I download most of my books. I do pass along any print books I read in hopes they'll enjoy a better life being read by someone than sitting on my shelves.

    I used to reread Stranger in a Strange Land every few years; last time I read it, it really seemed, well, strange. I also visit fictional friends if I happen by them; most recently, I reread parts of The Outlander to see what Jamie and Claire were up to!

    I look forward to you posts! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually reread, as I haven't figured out how to make time stand still or reproduce. So you're talking about sometimes experiencing less enthusiasm for a book the second time around? How does that happen? Is it a matter of growing/changing?

    I'm going to look for Sarah Canary soon!

    What about liking a book so much that you don't want it to end? Bittersweet, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzie,

    I know what you mean about "Stranger in a Strange Land." It didn't age too well.

    Glad you enjoy the posts. I'll try to keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Slowblossom -

    I think life experience and growth/maturity can change how we view a book the second time around. I hope you like "Sarah Canary." It's pretty quirky, but I love the way she writes. I think you might also.

    I know about those books you hate to see end -- definitely bittersweet. I find myself slowing down toward the end, trying to make it last just a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I reread books. I reread two or three Queen Lucia books every summer. I also reread a lot of P.G. Wodehouse. They are always fresh and delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cook - I've heard lots about both Queen Lucia books and P.G. Wodehouse, but I'm sorry to say I've never read either. Maybe it's time to start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never used to re-read books - maybe I was a 'book snob' in that way! : ( My mantra was a well known one: "So many books; so little time.") I have allowed myself to re-read books in recent years, sometimes by listening to them in audio form. One series that I seem to listen to contiunously is the "Master and Commander" series by Patrick O'Brian. There are 20 books in the series, so lots to chose from, but because O'Brian is such an excellent craftsman, I find I am learning about writing by listening to his books.
    I have read several Lucia books and almost all of the P.G. Wodehouse collection - so funny, so enjoyable! But I have not read *Sarah Canary* - maybe I will get it for my Nook this weekend.

    ReplyDelete