Monday, March 19, 2012

Yikes! Talk about needing violence ratings

I started reading "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt, because I downloaded a sample for my Kindle and I really liked the author's writing style. But by the time I got to chapter 3, or thereabouts, the body count has escalated beyond my tolerance level. I recognize that it's probably supposed to be over the top so as to make a point, but still. It reminds me of a western version of Pulp Fiction, a movie I couldn't watch.

I'm sad that I had to stop reading, because I was really enjoying one of the characters. It's rather hard, though, to cover your eyes while reading, so for now -- down it goes. I may get the courage to revisit it later, but for the moment I've moved on to Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Fingers crossed.

2 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who didn't like Pulp Fiction! Couldn't watch Kill Bill either. I think over-the-top violence is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. slowblossom - I agree about over-the-top violence. I also took a pass on the Kill Bill flicks. I did, however, enjoy the movie "Sean of the Dead" for some reason. That dry British humor just got to me.

    ReplyDelete