Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Lovers Heaven


If you’re like me, your family tries to steer you away from bookstores whenever possible. They know once you cross the threshold, you’ll be lost to them for at least an hour. I thought about that yesterday, when my sister mentioned a village in Wales that is literally filled with bookstores. So I researched it and learned that, indeed, the village of Hay-on-Wye, located on the Welsh side of the Welsh/English Border in the County of POWYS, Wales, has at least 30 bookstores. (Heaven!!) New books, old books, rare books, bear books. You name it; they’ve got it. This village is definitely going on my bucket list. 

                                                                  Hay-on-Wye

7 comments:

  1. I've been known to lose an hour or three in a bookstore or library and this town certainly looks heavenly! You'll have to take an extra suitcase just to bring home all your books. I love that they have themed bookstores; murder, poetry, children's, maps and . . . sensible? I wonder if that refers to the books, the staff, or the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a trip is in order! Although I love bookstores and libraries, and I spend a lot of time in them, they usually leave me dizzy and full of desire. I'd never survive in Hay-on-Wire, unless I were in a story like the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved bookstores as a safe and happy place. Although I love Kindle, with E-readers and Amazon taking the market while big chain bookstores go under, it's likely that by the time I have children they will not have the same opportunities to love bookstores the way we do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I'll take an empty suitcase when I go. And I think I'll make the sensible bookstore my first stop. Want to come along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slowblossom - If I don't get out of the bookstore within an hour, I'm sure to buy way too much. And I loved the Guernsey book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annick - Thanks for following me. I hope you're wrong about the demise of bookstores. I, too, love reading on my Kindle, but you just can't beat a trip to a real bookstore - the sights, the smell of the paper and ink, and the excitement of choosing the right books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more place to add to my bucket list-sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete